Monday, July 14, 2008

Following the rules.




I made this top (McCall's 4756) over the weekend. I added a collar, and I really like how it turned out. This polka dot cotton fabric is so soft I couldn't wait to use it. Believe it or not, I also made a pair of denim white shorts to go with the top while Saga was playing in the room with me. As I finished the last seam I was just amazed at how long she entertained herself on her own. She was wrapping her baby doll up in scrap fabric and elastic, and this lasted for 1/2 hour. It may never happen again, but it was wonderful. As the photos above prove I followed all my self imposed rules. I used pins, used tools, and followed along with the pattern. Maybe I am turning over a new leaf...

4 comments:

Jessica said...

This top is so cute. I need to follow the rules way more when I am sewing. I seem to have a closet full of items that are just a bit wonky because I didn't follow the directions *exactly.* As for my banner, it isn't the view outside of my window-I wish it was. Lake Ontario is just down the street from my house though, so its a view I see all the time and enjoy on bike rides. I never realized how lucky I was to live so close to water until I went away to college and missed it (and the stinky water!) dearly!

Astrid said...

The blouse is adorable - it'll look beautiful on Saga! I myself have to follow the rules - there's no way around it. If I don't everything goes wrong and I might as well start over. Every time I think I outsmarted Ottobre (or some other pattern-maker) I come to see that I didn't...
Isn't it wonderful when they can play while you sew? I actually allow Ronja to play with my pins and my pin cushion when I sew - then she hands me the pins, and it feels like we're working together! I love that! :)

periwinkle said...

being a newbie to sewing I always follow the rules as I haven't learned the short cuts yet :-0
lisa x

LisaAnn said...

Thank you for telling me that you like the top. This is one i really like too.

Jessica, Upstate NY is so beautiful. I love Ithaca.

Astrid, You figured me out! I do try to outsmart the pattern and it gets me everytime. I look forward to Saga being able to help me while I sew.

Lisa, You are smart to follow along with the pattern, just look what happens to me. lol.